Programs & Services

Housing Counseling

The staff of the Fair Housing Council of South Texas conducts housing counseling services for consumers who want to know about their rights under the Texas Property Code and Fair Housing Act. Staff provide consumers with information about their rights, make suggestions about how to resolve their housing issue, and, as appropriate, make referrals to other organizations that may be able to assist the consumer with a non-fair housing related problem.

In addition, staff will try to brainstorm possible ways to utilize the Fair Housing Act to resolve a consumer’s problem involving their housing provider (i.e., landlord, apartment management, Public Housing Authority, Homeowners Association (HOA), homebuilder, etc.).

Furthermore, staff will explain to consumers what constitutes a fair housing complaint, provide consumers with guidance on how to submit reasonable accommodation or modification requests, provide clarification on HUD guidance regarding specific fair housing issues, explain the HUD administrative complaint process, etc.

Next Steps

To obtain counseling regarding your housing rights, please call the Fair Housing Council of South Texas at (210) 733-3247, ext. 101 to speak with one of our staff members over the telephone during our normal business hours of Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

A housing counseling session can also be done in person at our office by appointment only. To make an appointment, please call (210) 733-3247, ext. 101.

There are no fees for consumers and consumers can remain anonymous—not give their name.